Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Chocolate Marshmallows {Recipe - Delicious and GAPS/Paleo!}

Oh. Goodness. Ilovechocolate.

And Oh. Goodness.  Ilovemarshmallows.

I must admit I totally ate some horrible deadly ones around Christmas.  Pretend I didn't say that.

But really, I was SO excited to find this.

And I just recently made them and ate the whole batch in a matter of 2 days.  YEP.

Pretend I didn't say that either.

So on another note, I have been 10 whole days without coffee.  BIG.DEAL.

That also means 10 days without insane doses of honey in my coffee.

Bring on the cravings for chocolate and sweet things after I got through the first 2 days of headaches, nausea, and naps.

So I decided after making some crumbly dry chocolate almond flour cookies that I would try making chocolate marshmallows.  ohJOYJOY.  Yep.  Thankfully, I only made a 1/2 batch, because 24 hours later, they're all gone.  But my little boys did eat their fair share.  I think I have a problem...

Anyway, they are awesome and marshmallowy and almost fudgy.  Can I go make another batch now?  Oh, wait, I should make dinner...

MAKE THESE (plain and chocolate) TODAY.  You won't be disappointed.

The plain ones are amazing...go here to get that recipe and the instructions.

Here is how I adapted it to make chocolate marshmallows.

Chocolate Marshmallows {Recipe - GAPS/Paleo}
Ingredients: (this is for a half batch as compared to the linked original recipe above.  My thought is, make a whole batch and once it gets all fluffy and creamy, pour half into a pan to have as regular and then add the cocoa paste as below to have chocolate ones as well!!!  So, if you want to do that, just double all ingredients except the chocolate. )
  • 1/2 cup  filtered water (split into quarter cups)
  • 1 1/2 Tbls Grass fed beef gelatin
  • 1/2 cup organic honey
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla gluten free organic extract
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 2-4 Tbsp raw organic cocoa powder*
  • 1-2 Tbsp of warm water
Process: 
  • In a medium-large mixing bowl, mix half of the water (1/4 cup) and the gelatin together.  Let it sit while you do the next step. 
  • In a saucepan, mix the honey, the remaining water (1/4 cup), vanilla, and salt together and bring to a boil. 
  • Simmer for about 7-8 minutes (it is helpful to use a candy thermometer) until it reaches 240*.  I have done this a few times and I have never gotten it to reach 240*, only about 220* or so.  Mine have always turned out great.  
  • While the honey mixture is boiling, mix your cocoa powder and warm water together in a small bowl to make a paste (only use enough water to be able to mix the cocoa powder into a paste). 
  • Turn on your mixer (I use a handheld mixer) and pour honey mixture into bowl to combine with gelatin.  I have used regular beaters and the whisk attachment.  Use the whisk attachment.  They both work, but it is much less insanely loud to use the whisk :-).  Mix at your highest speed (I usually only do speed 5 out of 6 because I can't handle the noise of speed 6 for 10 minutes...but I have oddly sensitive ears sometimes) for about 10 minutes until it is thick and like a marshmallow cream.  
  • If you are doing a full batch (double all ingredients), pour about half into an 8x8 or really any size pan (the size only impacts how thick they are) that is lined with parchment paper.  If you are only doing the half batch, proceed with next step.  
  • Add the cocoa powder paste and mix well with your mixer - you can add little by little if needed until it suits your chocolate taste buds.*  :-)  I used at least 4 tbsp when I made mine, and they were pretty dark and rich in their chocolate taste, which I loved.  Use less if you like mild chocolate flavor.  
  • Pour into a pan (I used 8x8) lined with parchment paper sticking up all the sides (picture below).  
  • Let it set!  It doesn't take too long to set, but the time depends on the temperature and humidity of your kitchen as well.  Also, I think the texture the next day is the best, but you can be sure I never wait until the next day to eat them! :-)
  • You can do coatings as described in the original recipe linked above this recipe, or you can coat it in cocoa powder afterwards.  I think coating these with some chopped nuts would be amazing.  
*NOTE: the chocolate taste is significantly stronger after marshmallows have set!  When I was tasting mine while mixing it all together, I could not taste the cocoa very well - but once I poured them out and they sat for a bit, the chocolate was pretty strong!  thankfully, I like strong, but keep that in mind when making them!  It might be something you figure out over time - just keep notes as to how much cocoa powder you used so you know what amount you like best! 
 
(this picture is after I had poured it out and I was making dinner and I couldn't stop myself from scraping some out to try before they had fully set!!  I am crazy!)
    The next day, or even later the same day you make them, they are much easier to cut into squares.  Don't leave the plate in sight of littles, because they will push stools and chairs over and eat them all.  Ask me how I know :-).

    Enjoy! 

    2 comments:

    Print Friendly